Create a new section of KRS Chapter 158 to define “aphasia,” dyscalculia,” “dysgraphia,” “dyslexia,” “phonemic awareness,” and “scientifically based research”; require the Kentucky Board of Education to promulgate administrative regulations to implement district-wide use of K-3 response-to-intervention system in reading by August 1, 2011, in mathematics by August 1, 2012, and behavior by August 1, 2013;
Study; dyslexia screening in kindergarten; report. Requests the Department of Education to study dyslexia screening for kindergarteners.
Congratulates dyslexic artist Willard Wigan on the occasion of the upcoming exhibition of his micro art works at the Nicole Gallery in Chicago.
Establishes New Jersey Reading Disabilities Task Force, providing:
1. The Legislature finds and declares that:
a. Approximately 85% of all children who receive special education services have basic deficits in language and reading; and
Relating to the regulation of dyslexia practitioners and therapists; providing penalties.
Establishes 2-tier voluntary licensing system, requiring specific training and examination in multi-sensory structured language education.
Resolution directing the State Board of Education to:
- Ensure early screening for dyslexia or other reading disabilities;
- Review level and pace of implementation of best practices of instruction;
- Review teacher preparation courses to ensure knowledge of best practices for support for children with dyslexia;
- Submit a progress report by December 31, 2009.