Issues & Concerns

If you have an issue, question or concern that is not related to a specific piece of legislation, feel free to post below.

13 thoughts on “Issues & Concerns”

  1. Will you be tracking the effects of the laws in each state so we can see what works? University Accreditation issues? Teacher licensing issues? Funding for teacher professional development? Funding for leadership (principal/superintendent professional development? Other carrots and sticks?

    How do NAEP scores change? Teacher surveys on classroom management?

  2. What to do if school school disagrees with the definition of dyslexia and refuse to comply with the diagnosis of dyslexia of my pvt pay evaluation from reputed Psychologist? State of Nevada.

    • Here’s a link to a page with the Nevada dyslexia laws:

      I think you have to work within the school’s process for assessment, either under the state dyslexia law or under Federal IDEA guidelines. This would include the appropriate process for review or administrative appeal if you disagree with their determination.

      Keep in mind that diagnostic criteria for dyslexia is not standardized — it is very possible that one professional may diagnose dyslexia and another may use different evaluation criteria, or the child may perform better or worse at a another time, and that could lead to a different conclusion.

  3. Also, why is dyslexia spelled as dyslegia on the top of the webpage? Is that an honest mistake, or is it purposely spelled that way to possibly represent how a dyslexic child may spell it as dyslegia instead of correctly spelling it as dyslexia?

    • Angela, this is a website focused on tracking and reporting on legislation related to dyslexia.

      Dyslegia is a play on words, combining the word “dyslexia” with the root “legis” in legislate.

      Our primary website is called — so dyslegia is also a play on the name of our main website.

      As you can see from site heading, the name of this site is “Dyslegia: A Legislative Information Site”

  4. I am a parent of a dyslexic child who is now, finally in 7th grade, doing well in a private school for children with learning differences. However, it is very expensive. I have been told the tuition may be tax deductible with a documentation from a physician. I am looking for a sample letter to use as a guideline for our physician. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

    • Jennifer, you can find information in IRS publication 502 — – under the topic “Special Education”. You would need a letter from a doctor specifically recommending that your child attend that school, for the primary purpose of overcoming learning disabilities. I think that the letter simply would need to track the language in the IRS publication.


Leave a Comment