AN ACT relating to reading assessment and intervention; requiring assessment and early intervention for dyslexia and other reading difficulties; requiring a report; and providing for an effective date. Provides: Each school district shall design and implement a reading screening program that measures student reading progress and attempts to identify dyslexia and other reading difficulties as early as possible in kindergarten through grade three (3). In addition to a universal screening instrument, the department of education shall identify standardized assessment instruments utilized to identify dyslexia and other reading difficulties. The program shall be multi-tiered and shall include various interventions to encourage remediation of any reading difficulty as early as possible.
- Bill Text: Bill Text, Introduced (PDF), Fiscal Note, Final Bill, Final Engrossed Bill
- Sponsor: Senator(s) Rothfuss, Barnard, Coe, Jennings and Landen and Representative(s) Connolly and Throne
- History - Senate: 2/7/2012 Bill Number Assigned, 2/13/2012 S Received for Introduction 2/14/2012 S Introduced and Referred to S04 2/17/2012 S04 Recommended Do Pass, 2/17/2012 S Placed on General File 2/20/2012 S Passed CoW 2/21/2012 S Passed 2nd Reading 2/22/2012 S Passed 3rd Reading, 3/6/2012 S Received for Concurrence 3/6/2012 S Did Concur, 3/7/12 Signed by Senate President
- Status: View Digest, Passed both Houses; Assigned Number SEA0039; Signed by Governor 3/9/2012
- History - House: 2/22/2012 H Received for Introduction 2/23/2012 H Introduced and Referred to H04 3/1/2012 H04 Recommended Amend and Do Pass, 3/1/2012 H Placed on General File 3/2/2012 H Amendments Adopted 3/2/2012 Amendment Adopted, 3/2/2012 H Passed CoW 3/5/2012 H Passed 2nd Reading 3/6/2012 H Passed 3rd Reading, 3/7/12 Signed by House Speaker