AN ACT relating to reading assessment and intervention; requiring assessment and early intervention for dyslexia and other reading difficulties; requiring a report; and providing for an effective date. Provides: Each school district shall design and implement a reading screening program that measures student reading progress and attempts to identify dyslexia and other reading difficulties as early as possible in kindergarten through grade three (3). In addition to a universal screening instrument, the department of education shall identify standardized assessment instruments utilized to identify dyslexia and other reading difficulties. The program shall be multi-tiered and shall include various interventions to encourage remediation of any reading difficulty as early as possible.
- Bill Text: <a href="http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2012/Introduced/SF0052.pdf">Bill Text, Introduced (PDF)</a>, <a href="http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2012/Fiscal/SF0052.htm">Fiscal Note</a>, <a href="http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2012/Enroll/SF0052.pdf">Final Bill</a>, <a href="http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2012/Bills/SF0052.pdf">Final Engrossed Bill</a>
- Sponsor: Senator(s) Rothfuss, Barnard, Coe, Jennings and Landen and Representative(s) Connolly and Throne
- History - Senate: 2/7/2012 Bill Number Assigned, 2/13/2012 S Received for Introduction 2/14/2012 S Introduced and Referred to S04 2/17/2012 S04 Recommended Do Pass, 2/17/2012 S Placed on General File 2/20/2012 S Passed CoW 2/21/2012 S Passed 2nd Reading 2/22/2012 S Passed 3rd Reading, 3/6/2012 S Received for Concurrence 3/6/2012 S Did Concur, 3/7/12 Signed by Senate President
- Status: <a href="http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2012/Digest/SF0052.htm">View Digest</a>, Passed both Houses; Assigned Number SEA0039; Signed by Governor 3/9/2012
- History - House: 2/22/2012 H Received for Introduction 2/23/2012 H Introduced and Referred to H04 3/1/2012 H04 Recommended Amend and Do Pass, 3/1/2012 H Placed on General File 3/2/2012 H Amendments Adopted 3/2/2012 Amendment Adopted, 3/2/2012 H Passed CoW 3/5/2012 H Passed 2nd Reading 3/6/2012 H Passed 3rd Reading, 3/7/12 Signed by House Speaker
1 thought on “Wyoming – 2012 – SF52 – Dyslexia Screening and Response”
This bill started with the concern of a homeschooling parent in Wyoming. Kelly Attebury removed her daughters from school because of difficulty getting testing and services for dyslexia. She shared her story with her state senator; he agreed that the law needed to be changed and introduced the bill that has now become law. You can read Kelly’s story here:
Comments are closed.