This act would enact the Rhode Island dyslexia act to establish policies and treatment for students with dyslexia in Rhode Island schools. Provides that local education agencies must consider symptoms and diagnosis of dyslexia in developing literacy intervention plans and individual education plans.Sets standards for instructional plans for students with reading disabilities and dyslexia based on legislative finding that scientific evidence supports systematic phonics based instruction.
- Bill Text: <a href="http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText12/HouseText12/H7541.pdf">Bill Text, as introduced</a>
- History - House: 02/15/2012 Introduced, referred to House H.E.W., 03/14/2012 Committee recommended measure be held for further study
- Sponsor: Naughton, Morrison, Keable, Baldelli-Hunt, Walsh
- Status: Failed to Pass; Legislature Adjourned 6/13/12
- Position: DDAI Opposes this Bill (See Position Statements on <a href="http://www.dyslegia.com/position-statements/position-statement-scientifically-based-research/">Scientifically Based Research</a> and <a href="http://www.dyslegia.com/position-statements/private-interest-groups/">Private Interest Groups and Restrictive Legislation</a>
- Hearings: Scheduled for Hearing and/or Consideration - March 14 - Room 135