AN ACT relating to early education assessment and intervention. Create a new section of KRS Chapter 158 to define “aphasia,” “dyscalculia,” “dysgraphia,” “dyslexia,” “phonemic awareness,” and “scientifically based research”; require the Kentucky Board of Education to promulgate administrative regulations for district reporting on implementation of a response-to-intervention system in grades K-3 in reading and writing by August 1, 2012, in mathematics by August 1, 2013, and in behavior by August 1, 2014; require the Department of Education to make available technical assistance, training, and a Web-based resource to assist all local school districts in the implementation of the system and instructional tools based on scientifically based research; require the department to collaborate with other state agencies and organizations; require conformity with 20 U.S.C. 1414(a)(1)(E) for initial evaluations of students with suspected disabilities; require the department to report to the Interim Joint Committee on Education on implementation by November 30, 2012, and annually thereafter; amend KRS 157.200 to conform with the federal definition of a “specific learning disability.”.
- Status: <a href="http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/11RS/SB160.htm">Current status</a>, Legislature Adjourned. (Bill died in committee), <a href="http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legislator/S028.htm">R Palmer II</a>, <a href="http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legislator/S035.htm">D Harper Angel</a>
- History: Feb 11-introduced in Senate, Feb 15-to Education (S)
- Related Bills: <a href="http://www.dyslegia.com/2011/01/kentucky-2011-hb-86-early-education-assessment/">HB 86</a>
- Bill Text: <a href="http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/11RS/SB160/bill.doc">Bill Text - MS Word Doc</a>
- Position: DDAI SUPPORTS this bill with RESERVATIONS due to overly restrictive definition of scientific research. See <a href="http://www.dyslegia.com/position-statements/position-statement-scientifically-based-research/">position statement regarding insufficiency of research</a>