Provides for instruction in dyslexia awareness and methods of teaching students with dyslexia for candidates for teaching certificates and current teachers and paraprofessionals. This bill directs the Commissioner of Education to: (1) develop recommendations for dyslexia awareness instruction and methods of teaching students with dyslexia for teacher preparation programs; and (2) develop recommendations to incorporate dyslexia awareness instruction and methods of teaching students with dyslexia for teacher and paraprofessional in-Service and other training programs. The recommendations must be submitted to the State Board of Education.
- Links: <a href="http://www.statescape.com/ssBillText/NJ20082009/NJ_20082009_AB_000877_Current_5161.htm">Text of Bill</a>, <a href="http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillsByNumber.asp">Check Bill Status</a>
- History: 1/8/2008 (A) Introduced And Referred To Education
- Status: Failed to Pass in 2009 - Reintroduced as <a href="http://www.dyslegia.com/2010/01/new-jersey-2010-2011-ab-811-dyslexia-awareness-instruction/">AB 811 </a> (2010 Session)
- Position: DDAI Supports this Bill
- Deadline: Legislature adjourns 1/12/2010